Thursday, April 8, 2010

User Testing, the site editor


When I started reading about how user testing and how most people don’t fully understand how things work, and yet muddle through them, I thought “well no s%@t.”
This is human nature, at least in this C student culture we've got. We don’t care how it works so long as it does. Ask your average person where water comes from and they’ll probably say, “ the pipes,” or “the water company.”
This wasn’t a revelation to me. I sure it's not to you either. I figured most people only scan web pages, because no one really cares about something they can’t benefit from.  They are trying to find out if this will work for them. That is why websites with no entertainment value are rarely looked at beyond small clans of counter culture emo-geeks who like being different as a way to feel special, but hey it works for them and it beats the alternative. Who am I to judge. Having said that I expected this from user testing I must conclude that I would still use it in a heartbeat. I’m to close to my own website to judge its user merit with objectivity. I need an editor to go over it and find the typos and flow problems. This makes my site better and that’s the bottom line. 

No comments:

Post a Comment